Buying a new small toaster can feel very overwhelming with all of the options available in the market nowadays. However, keep these three things in mind, the whole purchasing progress will be much simpler, faster, and easier.
But first, let’s take a peek at these 6 best small toaster ovens:
Here are the best small toaster ovens you can buy in 2020:
- Best Overall: Breville BOV650XL
- Best For English Muffins: Breville BOV450XL
- Most Efficient: Panasonic FlashXpress Compact Toaster Oven
- Best For Long Baking Tasks: BLACK+DECKER 4-Slice Toaster Oven
- Best For Campers: Hamilton Beach Easy Reach Countertop Toaster Oven
- Most Durable: Proctor Silex 4 Slice Toaster Oven
|Top 6 Best Small Toaster Ovens|
|Breville BOV650XL||Read Our Review|
Best For English Muffins
|Breville BOV450XL||Read Our Review|
|Panasonic FlashXpress Compact Toaster Oven||Read Our Review|
Best For Long Baking Tasks
|BLACK+DECKER 4-Slice Toaster Oven||Read Our Review|
Best For Campers
|Hamilton Beach Easy Reach Countertop Toaster Oven||Read Our Review|
|Proctor Silex 4 Slice Toaster Oven||Read Our Review|
Best Overall: Breville BOV650XL
- Precise, ultra-convenient, and visual - Backlit easy read LCD
- Multifunctional and versatile – 8 cooking functions
- Deliver accurate and stable heat on where and when you want it to - Smart element IQ
- Simple maintenance – nonstick coating
The Breville BOV650XL quickly turned into one of our most used and favorite toaster ovens. In comparison to the rest, it’s the most expensive yet functional at the same time.
While giving 8 cooking functions – reheat, cookies, pizza, broil, roast, bake, bagel, and toast - that only the high-end models provide, it is outstanding with the backlit LCD display and smart Element IQ.
This IQ function can smartly transfer heat across 4-quart elements, perfectly resulting in stable and accurate heat where and when you want it to.
The roomy capacity is a big bonus as it can accommodate a roast chicken, 4 cup muffin trays, 12-inch pizza, or 4 slice toasters like a breeze. Don’t worry, its nonstick coating makes the inner walls easier to clean so maintenance isn’t an issue at all.
|Breville BOV650XL Specifications|
15 x 17 x 10 inches
No of Functions
Backlit easy read LCD
8 cooking functions
Smart element IQ
For extra convenience, multi-functionality, and customizable control, we think the Breville BOV650XL has a lot of pieces in mind to offer.
Best For English Muffins: Breville BOV450XL
- Highly customizable – offer 8 cooking functions, a timer, a 30-second button, and more
- Safe and convenient – auto-shutoff
- Preheat super-fast
- No On/Off button
- Can’t mount under a cupboard
Measured by 16” x 14.2” x 8.5” with a 4-slice capacity and 11 ½” x 10 ¼” interior metal rack, the Breville BOV450XL is the right size to toast 6 English muffins at a time and similar things.
It just takes 3-4 minutes to lightly toast them using setting 4 of 7. Preheating is a must and this 1800W model can do its super-fast.
Regardless, we appreciate logical, straightforward control that you can easily adjust the time, cooking styles, temp darkness, and more. Call this unit smart because it features all different ways of cooking but a low-tech person is still able to use it.
A big bonus is a timer that shows the time remaining when toasting. Also, an extra 30-second button.
|Breville BOV450XL Specifications|
16 x 14.2 x 8.5 inches
No of Functions
Auto shut off
Superfast 1800 Watt preheat
If you seek a highly customizable, easy-to-use toaster oven to make English muffins, this is a smart and compact one to consider.
Most Efficient: Panasonic FlashXpress Compact Toaster Oven
- Highly efficient – feature Double Infrared Heating and Ceramic Infrared Heating Elements
- Control temps precisely - Manual Touch Button Temperature Control Sensor
- Easy to use - Removable Crumb Trays & Square Shape Inner Tray
- Can’t be set to bake longer than 25 minutes
- The surface of trays isn’t nonstick
The Panasonic FlashXpress Compact Toaster Oven stands out for its exceptional ability to heat up fast and afford multiple cooking styles with no babysitting to keep stuff from burning.
It gives you 6 different cooking functions, variable time, and heat buttons made for somewhat imitating a control panel.
Featuring 1300W heating element but this unit runs efficiently.
It doesn’t pile up your electricity bills but is powerful enough to make things crunchy just like a microwave so, you can be ready to say goodbye to soggy bread and pizzas.
Such efficiency performance is great thanks to the double infrared heating and ceramic infrared heating elements. They’re located in both front and back of the toaster oven, making it reheat or cook perfectly.
|Panasonic FlashXpress Compact Toaster Oven Specifications|
12 x 13 x 10.2 inches
No of Functions
Double Infrared Heating and Ceramic Infrared Heating Elements
Manual Touch Button Temperature Control Sensor
If you are finding the most efficient toaster oven that helps you cook in different styles without piling up the monthly electricity bills, this is the one.
Best For Long Baking Tasks: BLACK+DECKER 4-Slice Toaster Oven
- Deliver 30% more even cooking than other BLACK & DECKER versions – EvenToast Technology
- Convenient and easy to clean – included removable pan and rack
- Ideal for longer cooking tasks – a 30-minute timer
- Short power cord
The BLACK+DECKER 4-Slice Toaster Oven is a small toaster oven that allows you to set a 30-minute timer for longer toasting/broiling/baking tasks or simply reheating.
Its capacity is perfect for a wide range of meals and snacks, a 9-inch pizza or 4 slices of bread. By using EvenToast Technology, it toasts food 30% more evenly than the previous siblings so your dishes will come out more tasteful and delicious.
We really like the included pan and rack which are convenient and removable for cleaning.
The knobs are another big plus as they’re easily turned with fingertip grasp, not round that is hard to adjust.
|BLACK+DECKER 4-Slice Toaster Oven Specifications|
11.6 x 16.9 x 9.1 inches
No of Functions
Included Rack and Pan
With a 30-minute timer, this BLACK+DECKER 4-Slice Toaster Oven can’t be beaten for almost long cooking tasks, such as baking, broiling, toasting, and reheating.
Best For Campers: Hamilton Beach Easy Reach Countertop Toaster Oven
- Easy transporting – lightweight and compact
- Prevent burning wrist – roll-top door
- High maneuverability and safety – easy-to-use contoured knobs
- The tiny silver printed labels are hard to see
- Timing is not as precise as other models
When looking for a small toaster oven for outdoor use, like camping, picnic, and RV traveling, our team pays attention to its transporting ability, durability, and price tag.
The Hamilton Beach Easy Reach Countertop Toaster Oven, after all of our tests, is the best candidate. It is measured by 11.9 x 16.1 x 9 inches, weighing around 8 pounds but the interior is spacious enough for a 9” pizza or 4 slices of toast.
As made by a famous brand, it’s heavily focused on the materials and functionality. The toaster oven, in fact, is designed with three basic cooking functions, including toast, broil, and bake.
It’s also affordable – priced under $65 – but equipped with full accessories, like two racks and bake pan. The biggest selling point is its roll-top door which pulls up and moves back to open. Compared to the standard ovens which occasionally can burn your wrist, this doesn’t.
|Hamilton Beach Easy Reach Countertop Toaster Oven Specifications|
11.9 x 16.1 x 9 inches
No of Functions
Measured by 11.9 x 16.1 x 9 inches
Easy-To-Use Contoured Knobs
With a compact design, good functionality, and affordable pricing, the Hamilton Beach Easy Reach Countertop Toaster Oven is the best option for campers and RV-ers.
Most Durable: Proctor Silex 4 Slice Toaster Oven
- Easy maintenance – drop-down crumb tray
- Extra convenience – come with a ready bell and automatic shutoff feature
- The heating element is very close to the grill
For frequent usage, an ultra-durable toaster oven like this Proctor Silex is a good choice.
It is crafted entirely from high-quality metal with a drop-down crumb tray for simple maintenance and a broiler for extra versatility. The timer of this unit allows you to set a 15-minute cooking mode for either broiling or baking.
For extra convenience, it also comes with a ready bell and automatic shutoff feature.
The best thing about this Proctor toaster oven is its incredible affordability which is under $40. And its basic functions are enough for simple daily cooking tasks for dorm room students.
|Proctor Silex 4 Slice Toaster Oven Specifications|
14.8 x 18.8 x 9.3 inches
No of Functions
Drop-down crumb tray
Automatic shutoff and ready bell
Designed with durability in mind, the Proctor Silex 4 Slice Toaster Oven surely lasts for years come.
How To Choose The Best Small Toaster Ovens?
Volume Of Cooking
- Although we’re looking for a small toaster oven, you’ll have to make sure this gadget is going to fit the types of food you’ll be cooking in it as well as the number of people you typically cook for.
- Most producers describe the volume of cooking of their toaster ovens with roast chicken capacity, pizza diameter size, and bread slice.
- Small toaster ovens normally can handle a frozen 9-inch pizza, making waffle for 6, baking cookies, 4-6 slices of toast, or roasting a chicken. These models give a great solution for couples or singles.
- It’s extremely helpful if you can see what’s happening during the cook in toaster ovens, therefore, we suggest choosing a model with a transparent door. High visibility helps you avoid drying out pizza and blackening toast.
- It would be better if your toaster oven is built with interior lights so that you can check on foods more easily without having to open the door.
- This feature is to soup up your convenient experience while using the machine but remember, never going for overly display because it would make toaster oven use overly complex.
- We highly recommend choosing a unit with a straightforward display so that you can understand without extensive training.
Adjustments And Temp Ranges
- Temp flexibility is extremely useful as it helps you tackle everything from broiling fish or chops at a high setting to gently toasting nuts or bread at a low setting.
- This depends on the cooking types you’ll be doing in the machine but always look for a toaster oven with fine-tune ability on browning levels.
Which Brands Make The Best Small Toaster Ovens?
- With the mission to enhance people’s lives through brilliant innovations and thoughtful design, Breville has become an iconic global brand specializing in kitchen products to over 70 countries.
- Aiming for a better life and a better world, Panasonic was founded in 1918. Over 100 year’s expertise in the realm of electronic devices. What sets them apart is the inheriting advanced technologies, and constantly improving and developing.
- The longest-standing brand in this list – Hamilton Beach, founded in 1910. It’s known as a famous American designer, marketer, and distributor of home appliances, and more.
How much should you spend on a toaster oven?
It depends on your needs on a toaster oven. The higher the needs, the more expensive the product. Averagely, our recommendation is $50 - $300.
Is there a toaster oven that toasts evenly?
Yes, there is. You can take a look at our 6 picks above as they all deliver even toasting performance along with many other benefits.
How long should a toaster oven last? How often should you replace your toaster oven?
5 years, according to a report from ENERGY STAR.
Are toaster ovens toxic?
Yes, they are as long as they contain PFAS chemicals. According to the FDA, they can cause liver damage, thyroid disease, cancer, and more.
With so many choices out there, we know it can be challenging to select the best small toaster oven for your needs. Hopefully, you find our tests and ratings helpful in narrowing down the abundance of selection. Thanks for reading!