No camping trip is completed without a BBQ section. Don't you agree?
But a campfire is not at all suitable for making outstanding burgers and skews of meat. You need the best propane grill for camping to get on with.
I know you're being hyped with lots of florid words from models to models.
That's understandable. I've been there. Choosing a propane grill involves some work and experience. You'll get exhausted soon before the trip. So, why don't you browse my list here. I did the hard work for you.
The grills in this list came through my use and evaluation. Besides, I used my knowledge from BBQing in the wild with portable grills to tell, which is the suitable one for your budget and particular requirements.
Here are the best propane grills for camping you can buy in 2023:
- Best Overall: Masterbuilt SH19030819 Smoke Hollow Propane Grill
- Best For Indian/Mexican/Chinese Cooking: Blackstone Table Top Propane fueled grill
- Best For Small Groups: Masterbuilt MB20030619 MPG 300S Tabletop Gas Grill
- Durable: Coleman Roadtrip X-Cursion Propane Grill
- Best For Couples: Coleman Sportster Propane Grill
- Best For Big Parties: Royal Gourmet 8-Burner Liquid Propane Event Gas Grill
|Top 6 Best Propane Grills For Camping|
|Masterbuilt SH19030819 Smoke Hollow Propane Grill||Read Our Review|
Best For Indian/Mexican/Chinese Cooking
|Blackstone Table Top Propane fueled grill||Read Our Review|
Best For Small Groups
|Masterbuilt MB20030619 MPG 300S Tabletop Gas Grill||Read Our Review|
|Coleman Roadtrip X-Cursion Propane Grill||Read Our Review|
Best For Couples
|Coleman Sportster Propane Grill||Read Our Review|
Best For Big Parties
|Royal Gourmet 8-Burner Liquid Propane Event Gas Grill||Read Our Review|
Best Overall: Masterbuilt SH19030819 Smoke Hollow Propane Grill
- Compact design
- Simple to use
- Sleek look
- Easy to clean
- A bit struggling to control the temp
I mean, this Masterbuilt grill has everything you need for a joyful BBQ moment by the camp.
First of all, it is the shiny finish made of 10,000 BTU stainless steel. It feels sturdy and solid like a rock. The grill is designed for tabletop, but it's ok if you don't have an on-the-go table, just find a flat surface and place the unit evenly. However, you don't need anything larger than 28 inches to place the grill.
When opened, the interior is spacious for multiple items. What I liked the most is the chrome-coated warming rack for ready-to-go food.
It only requires one push to ignite the burner. The thermometer at the top lid allows you to know when it hits the right temperature.
And where the fat and food drippings go? To the grease tray at the bottom. It's so neat and convenient.
|Masterbuilt SH19030819 Smoke Hollow Propane Grill Specifications|
17.2 x 27.4 x 12.1 inches
288 sq. Inches
10, 000 BTU stainless Steel "U" Burner with 288 sq. Inch cooking area
There's a lot to say about this burner, but in short, it's a grill made to bring you satisfaction.
Best For Indian/Mexican/Chinese Cooking: Blackstone Table Top Propane fueled grill
- Spacious cooking space
- Super portable
- Fast cooking
- Easy to start
- Small dip tray
- No enclosure provided for carrying the two-pieces burner
This is what my cousin brought to the family trip last month at White Loop Group Campsite in Florida. And I was amazed.
So, if you're keen on making the best tortillas, Asian grills, or tandoori, this grill is for you. It's a real portable grill with easy-to-use built-in electric igniter to strike it on with one act.
But why is it especially good for Indian/Mexican/Chinese cooking?
The flat 260 square inches surface provides space for such foods to be flipped. Furthermore, the h-burner is able to distribute heat evenly, making food cooked fast with no dark spots.
When done using, you can turn the griddle top upside down for cleaning and storing. It's so easy to transport, carry, and use anywhere.
|Blackstone Table Top Propane fueled grill Specifications|
17.5 x 18 x 8.5 in
260 sq. inches
H-shaped burner distributes heat evenly for fast and even cooking
The grill features a superb griddle for BBQ, especially food of Indian, Mexican, and Asian cuisine.
Best For Small Groups: Masterbuilt MB20030619 MPG 300S Tabletop Gas Grill
- Great burner and smoker
- Compact design
- Great heat control
- Easy to clean up
- Hassle assembly
- Poor manual
Hesitate to bring a grill with you on a two-person trip? Don't let the fun drift away. You can always do BBQ with this Masterbuilt compact propane grill.
You'll get a U-shaped grill with foldable legs for easy transportation. When unfolded, you'll have a total of 345 sq. Inches space for BBQing. With two arms stretching to the two sides, you even have more space to accommodate prep-food, plates, utensils, and whatever you like.
I do enjoy smoking baby back ribs on this grill using the 3, 500 BTU smoke burner in one hour, then turned on the 6,500 BTU burner and set it at 300 degrees after applying BBQ sauce. The ribs came out perfect to my favor and taste.
The assembly was a pain, though. I had trouble bringing the screws and nuts together, resulting in a shaking grill, but dad fixed it for me. He loved the grill too.
|Masterbuilt MB20030619 MPG 300S Tabletop Gas Grill Specifications|
19.2 x 25 x 16 inches
345 sq. Inches
6, 500 BTU
Functional well as a burner and smoker.
Generous cooking space
With this grill, you'd never have to think twice about throwing a BBQ party with your besties at camp anymore.
Durable: Coleman Roadtrip X-Cursion Propane Grill
- Very durable cast iron build
- Super portable
- Two temp-controls
- Roomy cooking space
- Flimsy side table
Well, if it's Coleman, I never doubt the quality. But I was even more surprised when checking out this model.
What stroke me was the built-in cart making this unit double super portable. It stands on its own. There is a leg lock for securing the feet when you need to move the unit.
The really cool thing about this grill is the two-temp controls and full-size grill interior for lots of food. There is an arm on the right size so that you'll have space for some plates. If you want to cook burgers, the middle area will serve that need.
The flagship is Coleman used the highest-quality material to build up this grill. If you are a regular camper, you'll find this grill a tough guy in the wild. It'll stay with you for years before you need a new one. Trust me! Coleman never disappoints me.
|Coleman Roadtrip X-Cursion Propane Grill Specifications|
32.1 x 19.1 x 12.6 inches
Designed with a wheeled cart for fast carrying and deploying.
Made from the highest-quality material
If you don't want to invest in a grill in years to come, this Coleman is your best bet.
Best For Couples: Coleman Sportster Propane Grill
- Well built
- Small design
- Easy to move
- Great portability
- The locking system is a bit hard at the beginning
I thought this grill was too big for my girl and me, but I was wrong. It's a compact yet portable grill featuring 225 sq. Inch cooking space.
Though small, the cooking power is up to 10,000 BTU. In such a small footprint, this number has its space to show off. It heats up fast and cooks food evenly. Whether you want to chill with some plank-grilled salmon, kabobs, burgers, steak, this unit serves it right.
One more thing that makes it ideal for couples is the easy-to-clean, removable porcelain-coated steel grates. It doesn't take too much effort to remove burns; that's a blessing for such lazy people like me.
The collapsible design makes transporting a relief. All you have to do is to kick the stand and lower the grill unit.
|Coleman Sportster Propane Grill Specifications|
28 x 12.9 x 19.4 inches
225 sq. Inches
Compact but smart design with high energy output.
God knows if I would ever become a fulltime Rv-er with my wife at retirement, but I would definitely grab this Masterbuilt burner for that kind of life.
Best For Big Parties: Royal Gourmet 8-Burner Liquid Propane Event Gas Grill
- Powerful burners
- Spacious cooking space
- Lots of place for storing
- The base can be bent
What if you bring a big group to an impromptu trip this Sunday? Well, you don't have to pack your backyard grill to the site. This Royal Gourmet grill will take the duty right off the bat.
I hope a 950 sq. in. cooking surface is enough to please you. You'll be able to accommodate more than 60 burgers and 120 hot dogs for the night. There re up to 8 stainless steel tube burners operate at 13,000 BTU each. That'll spread heat across the unit evenly.
On the sides, this grill is designed with the purpose of serving multiple eaters at a time in mind. There are two foldable sides tables and roomy space for loading your stuff on the heavy-duty shelve. If you want to make it your backyard unit, go ahead.
|Royal Gourmet 8-Burner Liquid Propane Event Gas Grill Specifications|
90.6 x 24.2 x 38.2 inches
950 sq. inches
8 powerful burners cook fast on a generous 950 sq.
The grill is made readily to serve several people at once with 8 separate burners.
How To Choose The Best Propane Grills For Camping?
A propane grill sounds simple, but in fact, there are lots of factors involved when it comes to choosing the item.
What are those?
- What is BTU? It's the amount of heat energy a particular grill generates. The higher the number, the more heat will be in the cooking area.
- However, this number doesn't say how hot the grill is going to reach because there are some factors matter in the way. It is the material of the grill pan, size, and even the overall design.
- But the myth about more BTU will get your grill to heat up faster hasn't come to my experience.
- In practice, I noticed a 10,000 BTU and 6,000 BTU grill has approximately the same amount of time to heat up.
- By any mean, I don't think you need too much heat as it will overcook your food. I always set my grill from low to medium to smoke and barbecue.
- So, don't be hyped by the number.
- Either you travel with a small or large group, a sufficient amount of food should be provided. The smallest grill I've ever used was 120 sq. Inches. It accommodates around 4 pieces of steak at a time. But this size doesn't benefit much if you're on a trip with a group above 4. It'll take a decade for meal time to be done.
- Consider something larger than 250 sq. Inches because I believe it's an ideal size to serve up to 5 people.
- Of course, for camping, portability is key. So, besides the size, you should pay attention to the locking system in the lid, feet, and other extendable parts like wings.
- A case would be a plus for easy packing. If not, it should have a handle so that you can carry it neatly. You can check the Coleman models that feature wheels, making it super easy to move the unit. Also, don't forget to check if the trunk of your vehicle fits the unit.
- Not all camping grills come fully assembled for you. Some make you play the lego game. So, make sure you are willing to do the putting-together part or not.
- Though the process can be fun and easy, your clumsy skill may not get the parts to their right places. Not to mention some grills don't come with comprehensible manuals, which may confuse you.
Which Brands Make The Best Propane Grills For Camping?
- With 45 years of history, Masterbuilt has followed the tradition of making grills that lead the way. The brand owns not only the innovation of leading-edge quality but also the faith delivered in each product. Coming with the premium standard is the world-class customer service, ready to take care of what you buy for whatever the problem.
- Leading the industry of outdoor gear, Coleman is renowned for producing the best grills with doubtless quality. During 120 years of development, Coleman has proved that the innovation they've followed has contributed to change the way people live that desirable outdoor life.
What are the differences between a camping grill and a camping stove?
We should agree that either grill or stove is for cooking. But the major difference is in the cooking surface. Stoves work best with pots and pans while a grill takes food directly on its griddle. The heat comes from a propane grill that may be sufficient for boiling water, but it's going to take long. But if you don't have a side burner and you need to reheat some soup, it's ok to use the grill.
What accessories should you bring for your camping grill?
Personally, I'm an elaborated camper and sometimes overreacting if a spoon is missing, but I do know what accessories are essential for a camping trip. Notably, besides a grill, you should bring:
Extra propane tanks
Cutting board and knives
How to keep food fresh outdoors?
Taking perishable food on your camping trips like steak, chicken, and seafood. You could bring a camping fridge to keep food fresh, but it's not always a top-of-the-line option as those gadgets cost money. A cooler bag is more affordable. You can literally keep frozen food in a cooler bag for hours.
It also matters how you preserve the food. For example, I will refrigerate steak in the marinated sauce so the marinate freezes to become a giant ice coat that will last for at least two days. You can load ice packs in the bag to maintain the inner temp. It'll last at least 3 days. You know what? You can use those ice packs for your beverage later.
How to properly grill outdoors?
Some basic rules for outdoor grilling include:
Allow time for the grill to heat up
Keep the grate clean to avoid sticking
Use proper grill tool
Don't use too much sugary sauce as it causes fast burning
Avoid using the grill close to flammable material
Is it possible to use a camping grill on your apartment terrace?
It's a yes, but I don't recommend this. Grilling on your apartment's balcony should follow some rules strictly. Not to mention it'll disturb your neighbor. Smoke from the grill may trigger the fire alarm, and more related issues when grilling in such a limited space.
Having the best propane grill for camping will add extra joy to your trip to the wild. I know there are still better options out there, but I promise to keep the list updated.
These are the grills I've picked among the many grills I used. Hope my hard work has done you a relief. Don't forget to let me know the grill you buy and share how you experience it in the comment. Some people want to know.
And please share this post with your friends and family. Happy grilling!