The best way to ensure a tasty outcome with little effort is by using the right grilling meat thermometer. It prevents your recipes from undercooking or overcooking by allowing you to monitor the food temperature inside your griller.
Below are the 6 best meat thermometers for grilling that our experts have tested and analyzed meticulously from the market:
Here are the best meat thermometers for grilling you can buy in 2020:
- Best Overall: ThermoPro TP-17
- Best For Deep Fryers: ThermoPro TP20
- Best For Gas Grill: GDEALER DT09
- Accurate: Lavatools Javelin PRO Duo
- Best For Fast Readings: Mister Chefer Instant Read Thermometer
- Extra Thin Probe Tip: Polder Stable Read Digital Thermometer
|top 6 Best Meat Thermometers For Grilling|
|ThermoPro TP-17||Read Our Review|
Best For Deep Fryers
|ThermoPro TP20||Read Our Review|
Best For Gas Grill
|GDEALER DT09||Read Our Review|
|Lavatools Javelin PRO Duo||Read Our Review|
Best For Fast Readings
|Mister Chefer Instant Read Thermometer||Read Our Review|
Extra Thin Probe Tip
|Polder Stable Read Digital Thermometer||Read Our Review|
Best Overall: ThermoPro TP-17
- Retrieve temperature fast and accurately - step-down probe design
- Versatile - magnetic back and flip-out counter top stand
- Easy to monitor large pieces of meat or dual grills - DUAL probe grill thermometer
- The lid sitting on the leads is not really durable
Getting a dual probe thermometer is a great choice for large pieces of meat as you’ll have a better idea of how they’re cooking or for double grills – it’s perfect to measure the food temp in both grills at once.
If that’s also your purpose of use, we highly suggest the ThermoPro TP-17.
Don’t worry if you just need one probe because the screen area for the second one can convert to a kitchen timer.
What we like the most is the numbers displayed on the screen despite their modest dimensions. They have both magnets and a fold-out stand so that you’ll get multiple options to display them. once the set temp is reached, it emits a moderately loud beeping sound to ensure you won’t miss.
Finally, a quick response time is a big bonus!
|ThermoPro TP-17 Specifications|
3.2 x 0.8 x 3.2 inches
1 - 2 seconds
14˚F to 572˚F
Step-down probe design
Backlit and large LCD BBQ thermometer displays
Flip-out counter top stand and magnetic back
DUAL probe grill thermometer
Designed with versatility, quick response, multiple display options, and more, the ThermoPro TP-17 persuasively wins our Editor’s Best Overall Grilling Thermometer Choice award.
Best For Deep Fryers: ThermoPro TP20
- Measure temperature super-fast and precisely - feature food-grade stainless steel probe with step-down tip design
- Highly customizable – have various doneness levels and preset temperatures for 9 types of meat
- User-friendly – large LCD screen with back-lit, no tedious setup steps nor synch required
- Allow for tracking the food temp up to 300 feet away - Wireless digital meat thermometer with dual probe
- No high and low alarm function
- Lack of lock on remote control
- The alarm sound isn’t loud enough
Nothing is better than indoors enjoying family activities during Thanksgiving and tracking the temp without having to babysit your fryer. If you want that, pick this!
It stands out from other competitors by featuring a wireless digital monitor that allows you to check the food temp up to 300 feet away. If you’re a low-tech person, don’t fret, it requires no synch or tedious setup steps at all.
Making us impressed the most is how fast and accurately it gets the temperature.
Built with a step-down tip design that can hold up well to 716 degrees F in addition to 9 preset temp settings with multiple doneness levels recommended by USDA, it gives you results just after 2-3 seconds with an accuracy of ±1.8°F. Amazing!
|ThermoPro TP20 Specifications|
32°F to 572°F
Step-down tip design
Probe wires can withstand up to 716°F
USDA Preset Temperature Settings
Wireless digital meat thermometer with dual probe
In need of a durable, accurate meat thermometer with hand-free capability for deep frying? No problems, here are our recommendations.
Best For Gas Grill: GDEALER DT09
- Ideal for gas grilling or using hot oil for deep frying - temperature range of -58°f to 572°f & IP 67 waterproof design
- Easy to use – 10-minute auto-off and hold feature, ºF/ºC Switchable, and more
- Allow for reading numbers clearly and easily in low light conditions - Backlit LCD display
- The calibration could work better
Featuring ultra-wide temperature range (of -58°f to 572°f), the GDEALER DT09 is a great option for gas grills.
The IP67 waterproof function allows it to measure the temps of various foods - from meat, cheese, candy, to liquids (like milk, coffee, and chocolate). The biggest selling point is its 10-minute auto-off and holds function.
Open the probe to turn the unit on ad fold it to turn off.
Press the button, the LCD screen will be bright up within five seconds to show you the numbers clearly in the darkness, which is practical during night BBQ parties or evening picnics.
Another bonus is you can calibrate it to know the max and min temp while cooking.
|GDEALER DT09 Specifications|
16 x 2.2 x 5.5 inches
Food grade stainless steel
-58°f - 572°f
Backlit LCD display
Temperature range of -58°f 572°f;
IP 67 waterproof
We suggest choosing the GDEALER DT09 if you’re in search of a highly heat-resistant and waterproof meat thermometer for gas grilling.
Accurate: Lavatools Javelin PRO Duo
- Reliable and high-quality – NSF certificated and backed by a 3-year warranty
- Fast and accurate – response time of under 3 seconds and the accuracy of ±0.9°F
- Splash-proof efficiently – IP65 waterproof rating
- Make sure you’ll never miss any signal – feature a smart stabilization alert
- Hard to find the button to change the degrees to C or F
- Big and bulky
With the accuracy of ±0.9°F, the Lavatools Javelin PRO Duo becomes the most accurate meat thermometer in this list and is widely used by many award-winning baristas, cooking show hosts, and professional chefs.
Not just telling the accurate temperature, it responses extremely fast, within 1-3 seconds to allow for perfect timing.
It is NSF certificated and reliably backed by the manufacturer with a 3-year warranty.
What gives us lots of peace in mind is the smart stabilization alert to make sure you won’t miss any signal. This unit is also IP65 waterproof rated, meaning that it is well protected against splash during the use to last longer.
|Lavatools Javelin PRO Duo Specifications|
4.3 x 4.1 x 1.2 inches
food-grade stainless steel
Intelligent stabilization alert
IP65 splash-proof construction
Large 2" auto-rotating ambidextrous backlit display
An accuracy better than ±0.9°F
For those recipes that require perfect timing, we highly recommend the Lavatools Javelin PRO Duo.
Best For Fast Readings: Mister Chefer Instant Read Thermometer
- Fast reading – response time in under 3 seconds
- Easy to measure the thickest part of meats – feature extended probe length
- Compact and convenient to store – have collapsible probe & a magnet to stick on the fridge
- The screen display is prone to get scratch
The Mister Chefer Instant Read Thermometer is an excellent tool for any kitchen.
It measures the temp in no longer than 3 seconds and gives me the readings with an accuracy of +/- 1 degree, which is really fast.
The ultra-large, clear numbers with backlit illumination allow you to quickly glance to read all indicators, especially if you’re in a hurry.
The calibration function also comes in handy for maximum measurement precision.
We like the ultra-long probe length as it’s easy and safe to measure temperature in the thickest part of meats, and a big bonus is you can fold it down for more space-saving storage.
|Mister Chefer Instant Read Thermometer Specifications|
6.7 x 1.1 x 2.2 inches
stainless steel & ABS Plastic
-58°F - 572°F
Strong ABS plastic body
Long collapsible probe of stainless steel
Measures temperature in 3 seconds
Designed with fast response time, the Mister Chefer Instant Read Thermometer is a nice tool for a quick temp reading with no need for making a huge “unattractive” cut into your meats.
Extra Thin Probe Tip: Polder Stable Read Digital Thermometer
- Reliable – get good reviews by Customer’s Reports
- Give accurate readings in 4 seconds - New, exclusive technology
- Affordable and highly valuable
- The battery cover isn’t water-resistant
One of the most inexpensive meat thermometers here but it is well-made, easy to use, and gives accurate readings within seconds.
For those who don’t know, this model got a really good review by Customer’s Reports therein its thin probe tip was commended the most.
This, in fact, offers two big benefits. First off, inserting the probe into meats is much more effortless and secondly, it doesn’t leave unaesthetic holes on the surface. For the price, we feel satisfied with the 4-second response time and temp range.
Even more, it includes once battery so that you can use it out of the box.
|Polder Stable Read Digital Thermometer Specifications|
1.9 x 0.7 x 0.8 in
-49°F to 392°F (-45°C to 200°C)
Temperature range: -49°F to 392°F (-45°C to 200°C)
One CR2032 battery included
Hate the unaesthetic holes left on the meat surface after using your thermometer? With this Polder Stable Read Digital Thermometer and its ultra-thin probe tip, that will happen no more.
How To Choose The Best Meat Thermometers For Grilling?
There are three major types when it comes to shopping for grilling meat thermometers:
- Dial thermometer
- This type is inexpensive and perfect to measure temperature for large cuts of meat. It must be inserted into the food 2” or 2 ½” and left there while cooking in the griller for the most accuracy.
- The biggest hiccup of dial thermometer is slow response time (around one minute or two) and harder to read than the instant-read models. However, it allows you to track easily doneness while grilling.
- Digital instant-read thermometers
- As stated, this type of meat thermometers provides a very fast response time (no longer than 5 seconds) while pricing reasonably.
- It must be inserted into the meat about ½”.
- The only flaw is you can’t leave it in the meat during grilling.
- The biggest selling points of thermocouples are leaving the smallest holes on the meat’s surface and respond in the fastest time.
- It must be inserted into the meat ¼”.
- In turn, it can’t be left in the meat while cooking and the price is probably high to some budget-minded cooking enthusiasts.
Number Of Presets
- Most meat thermometers for grilling come up with a certain number of preset temp settings to cook more efficiently different types of meat.
- Your task is considering the appropriate number of presets for your needs.
- Pay attention to the degree of customization the gadget provides. Choose your own desired temperatures and check if you can change any preset it gives you.
Which Brands Make The Best Meat Thermometers For Grilling?
- ThermoPro is quite a new brand in this industry – it began in 2014. However, this company gains its loyal customers really quickly due to the highly competitive price ranges with no compromises of quality and performance.
- This company specializes in electronic products at premium quality at the most budget-friendly price tags along with caring customer services. The key for their competitive price range without compromising the performance is GDEALER directly designs, develops, and produces its own products with no middlemen.
- Another worth-trying meat thermometer brand is Lavatools. Their products are designed meticulously to meet the rigors of a busy kitchen and known for superior quality that will never warp or crack over time.
Why is a Digital Meat Thermometer a Must-Have?
It’s best digital meat thermometer can give you highly accurate measuring in fast response time (within seconds) to save your grilled food from undercooking or overcooking.
You can track the food temperature from a certain distance.
Can you leave a meat thermometer in the grill?
Yes, you can as long as it is a dial thermometer.
Where do you put a meat thermometer in a chicken?
Into the center at the thickest part, away from gristle, fat, and bone.
How do I know if my meat thermometer is accurate?
Put your thermometer into a big glass or bowl filled with ice water, if it reads 0 degrees C or 32 degrees F, it is accurate.
Choosing the best meat thermometer for grilling is not an easy decision, and the massive number of selections can confuse easily the matter. We hope this complete guide has helped you make the right choice – happy grilling!