When choosing the best jar opener for arthritis, there are a lot of vital elements to consider.
As they come at different designs, materials, and prices, it’s probably a bit daunting to get just the right one for your wrist situation.
Rest the heart, we’ve done all the legwork for you. Here are the 6 best options out there:
Here are the best jar openers for arthritis you can buy in 2020:
- Best Overall: Kichwit Jar Opener
- Best For Grooved Caps: Kuhn Rikon The Gripper Jar Opener
- Most Durable: Swing-A-Way Comfort Grip Jar Opener
- Best For Seniors: Sinceller Electric Jar Opener
- Most Durable: Hamilton Beach Open Ease Automatic Jar Opener, Model 76800
- Best For All Jar Sizes: Besmon Electric Jar Opener
|Top 6 Best Jar Openers For Arthritis|
|Kichwit Jar Opener||Read Our Review|
Best For Grooved Caps
|Kuhn Rikon The Gripper Jar Opener||Read Our Review|
|Swing-A-Way Comfort Grip Jar Opener||Read Our Review|
Best For Seniors
|Sinceller Electric Jar Opener||Read Our Review|
|Hamilton Beach Open Ease Automatic Jar Opener, Model 76800||Read Our Review|
Best For All Jar Sizes
|Besmon Electric Jar Opener||Read Our Review|
Manual Jar Openers
Best Overall: Kichwit Jar Opener
- Durable, sturdy, and rust-free – made from heavy-duty stainless steel
- Easy to grip – solid hard plastic handle
- Flexible storage – includes a free key chain
- High versatility – suit multiple jar lids between 1” and 3.7” diameter
- Limited as to how far the jaws will spread
- Not work efficiently on plastic lids
At the price under $13, we’re seriously impressed by how durable of this stainless-steel jar opener.
It doesn’t hit the trash as quickly as other counterparts at the same price range and moreover, the versatility is similar to the high-end openers. With twisting design, it works on all lids between 1” to 3.7” diameter.
While twisting, its teeth grab and hold the edges of the lid tightly.
The design is also compact and neat to easily store anywhere or you can take advantage of the included bottle opener key chain to hook it on somewhere within your eyesight.
|Kichwit Jar Opener Specifications|
3.6 x 2.6 x 1.8 inches
Suitable for jars with lids between 1” to 3.7” diameter; a free bottle opener key chain; the opener is made of heavy stainless steel and solid hard plastic handle
Rust-free, durable construction, small dimensions, high versatility, and affordability, there’s no reason to deny this jar opener from Kicwit.
Best For Grooved Caps: Kuhn Rikon The Gripper Jar Opener
- High versatility – can open both grooved and smooth-sided lids within 1” to 3.5” diameter
- User-friendly – added markings
- Not ideal for people with too bad pain or have a loss of dexterity in the hands
The force to grab and hold a jar lid of this Kuhn Rikon Gripper Jar Opener is much gentler than the Kichwit, which makes it ideal to open grooved plastic caps.
Whether that is a water bottle, soda bottle, jam, or pickle jar, this can handle like a breeze.
It is specifically designed to fit both smooth-sided and grooved lids sizing within 1” to 3.5”. Work spectacularly as long as it is secured nicely on the lid/cap with little effort required.
One improvement is the added markings to tell the user which way to twist the handle to loosen the lid and which way to twist the knob to tighten the teeth against the lid.
|Kuhn Rikon The Gripper Jar Opener Specifications|
12 x 6 x 2 inches
Opens lids from 1-Inch to 3. 5-Inches
Works on smooth-sided and grooved caps
While other jar openers tend to deliver too much force, which is prone to break plastic grooved lids, this Kuhn Rikon Gripper Jar Opener is a sweet exception.
Most Durable: Swing-A-Way Comfort Grip Jar Opener
- Grippy and easy handling – ergonomic handles with soft cushion cover
- Extreme durability – made from 100% steel
- Easy to clean
- Made in China
- Prone to rust
Unlike the two jar openers above, Swing-A-Way Comfort Grip Jar Opener is made from 100% high-grade steel, which makes it the most durable option in this category.
And undoubtedly, it provides the highest spring-loaded power and leverage twisting to help you open most jar lids effortlessly.
If you’re concerning about the handle, it is also metal but covered with soft cushion outside for better comfort and grips, even when your hand is heavily sweated. Another good thing it fits most hand sizes thanks to the ergonomic design.
|Swing-A-Way Comfort Grip Jar Opener Specifications|
8.8 x 3.8 x 0.8 inches
Easy to clean
Soft cushion grips
100% steel construction
No-fuss. No muss. No straining. The Swing-A-Way Comfort Grip Jar Opener makes the opening jars not an overwhelming task anymore. Plus, the steel construction makes it the most durable.
Electric Jar Openers
Best For Seniors: Sinceller Electric Jar Opener
- Energy-efficient – requires two pieces of AA batteries
- Lightweight and easy to hold – weigh under one pound
- A bit slow
- Work noisily
To open those stubborn jars, the Sinceller Electric Jar Opener comes in handy, especially for older people with a loss of hand strength.
It is powered by 2 pieces of AA batteries and consumes very little energy.
The jar opener itself is very lightweight – under one pound, and its length is only 6.8 inches, which is pretty compact and neat to fit any kitchen utensil drawer.
Although it works a bit slowly and noisily, the results are fantastic.
|Sinceller Electric Jar Opener Specifications|
6.8 x 2.5 x 4.3 inches
Size: 6. 8 inches long
Weighs 0. 80 lbs.
Want a low-cost assistive technology device to open jars and containers to gift your parents? The Sinceller Electric Jar Opener might be what you’re after.
Most Durable: Hamilton Beach Open Ease Automatic Jar Opener, Model 76800
- High versatility – can open lids between 1” and 4” diameter
- Energy-efficient – a set of two AA batteries can open over 250 jars
- Durable – made of high-grade materials and backed by a one-year warranty
- A bit costly
This jar opener is construction quite similar to the previous model but it’s much more durable and energy-efficient.
While crafted from higher-grade materials for longer-lasting durability, it can open more than 250 lids with a single set of batteries. The opening is also effortless and easy. Just place it on the bottle/jar you want to open, push the button and it will do the rest for you.
The versatility of this jar opener is also superior to other models.
It can handle any jars within 1” to 4” diameter and open within seconds. The best part is a one-year warranty backs it.
|Hamilton Beach Open Ease Automatic Jar Opener, Model 76800 Specifications|
5 x 3.2 x 7.8 inches
Open lids from 1" to 4" in diameter
Can open 250+ jars with a single set of batteries
Having been tested to open over 250 lids and also backed by a one-year warranty, the Hamilton Beach 76800 is a reliable, durable electric jar opener for arthritis.
Best For All Jar Sizes: Besmon Electric Jar Opener
- Reliable and quality – CE certificated
- Avoid mess after the opening – built-in magnet
- Versatile – can open lids within 1” to 4” diameter
- Hard to use on plastic jars
If you have got numerous different jars at home, the Besmon Electric Jar Opener with its decent versatility design will be your best assistant. As maximum, it can open jars with a 4-inch diameter in a few seconds.
What’s worth mentioning is it has an integrated magnet to keep the lid stay secured in place after opening. This is extremely handy if you want to open a jam jar or liquid bottle.
Meanwhile, the soft edge doesn’t hurt your hand.
For extra technical information, this jar opener is CE certificated for safety and quality.
|Besmon Electric Jar Opener Specifications|
8.4 x 4.4 x 3 inches
Designed to be more powerful and versatile to fit all jar lids within 1” to 4”, the Besmon Electric Jar Opener brings home our award for the Best Opener for All Jar Sizes.
How To Choose The Best Jar Openers For Arthritis?
You’ve got two options to choose from Manual and Electric.
Manual Jar Openers
Easy to guess, this type is not as effortless and easy to use as the electric jar openers. However, it turns out to be a better choice in some certain cases, such as:
- Use as a backup when the electricity goes off or the electric model breaks down
- For traveling due to its compact and lightweight design
The biggest flaw of manual jar openers is the force required on the hand holding the jar. To relieve pressure on this hand and make the lid opening more easily, look for an additional solo grip that keeps the jar securely into a flat surface instead of using your hand.
Electric Jar Openers
- The best choice for people who have a serious loss of arm strength because it’s the most effortless.
- With it, you don’t need to do anything but just press a button. Electric jar openers are divided into two categories: corded lid-off jar openers and battery-powered jar openers.
- The corded model obviously delivers the most powerful strength to open a lid quick and efficiently but it’s also the costliest out of a bunch. Meanwhile, the battery-powered is cheaper, but it’s less powerful and requires battery changing. This kind of electric jar opener isn’t recommended to use for plastic lids.
- This is key to compare the performance between different models at the same categories.
- Grip efficiency describes how tight grip on the jar lid of an opener. In other words, it indirectly indicates how easily it can help you open a lid. There is a basic rule of thumb: The stronger the grip, the higher the efficiency, and the less pressure on your wrist.
- When considering this issue, it would be best to opt for a jar opener with adjustable grips because it enhances the gadget’s versatility.
- This feature directly affects the longevity of a jar opener because opening a lid is notoriously difficult and requires a huge amount of stress as well as pressure.
- The higher the quality, the more durable the jar opener, resulting in higher longevity.
- There are three common material options of jar openers: plastic, stainless steel, and a hybrid of them.
- Stainless steel is the strongest material with rust-proof and long-lasting properties. However, they’re usually expensive, which is not ideal for tight-budget buyers. Conversely, plastic is very affordable and lightweight. But make sure to choose a strong and hard plastic opener to get enough torque for jar opening.
- The hybrid products usually include a stainless steel opener and a plastic handle. They’re lighter and cheaper than the stainless steel but more durable than the plastic.
Which Brands Make The Best Jar Openers For Arthritis?
- Kuhn Rikon is a well-known UK company specializing in kitchenware. Their products receive high review scores on FEEFO – an independent review service.
- This brand is one of the most popular choices for people who want something ultra-durable and long-lasting to stay with them as long as possible.
- Hamilton Beach is the brand with longest-standing history – founded in 1910 – by two men who had over 6 years working for U.S. Standard Electrical Works in Racine.
How much do jar openers cost?
Averagely $10 to $40.
How long should a jar opener last?
2-7 years, depending on the frequency of use, maintenance, care, quality, and brand.
What do you do if your jar opener won't work?
Run hot water over the jar for 30-60 seconds, wipe it down, and then try opening it with your jar opener again.
There is an equivalence of jar openers out there but not all of them suits arthritis. With our ultimate guide above, and keeping an open mind, we’re sure you will be able to find the best jar opener for arthritis that is worth its weight in gold.