According to Consumer Reports, the average price range for a dishwasher that is good at drying and energy efficiency is around $1000. But that amount is so expensive, isn’t it?
“Good things don’t need to cost the Earth” – our experts always say. And here are some precious tips from them to help you choose the best dishwasher under $500:
Here are the best dishwashers under $500 you can buy in 2022:
- Best Overall: hOmeLabs Compact Countertop Dishwasher
- Ultra-Quiet: Danby DDW621WDB
- Best For Singles: Magic Chef Energy Star 6-Place Setting MCSCD6W5
- Best Overall: EdgeStar BIDW1802BL
- Best For Bigger Families: Frigidaire FFCD2418US
- Best For Drying Dishes: SPT SD-9254W
|Top 6 Best Dishwashers Under $500|
|hOmeLabs Compact Countertop Dishwasher|
Best For Singles
|Magic Chef Energy Star 6-Place Setting MCSCD6W5|
Best For Bigger Families
Best For Drying Dishes
Best Overall: hOmeLabs Compact Countertop Dishwasher
- Provide all features of a regular-sized dishwasher, with 6 wash cycle options and 6 place settings
- Convenient and user-friendly control, with a buzzer, a delay start feature, and a lot of light indicators
- Easy to install with no tool requirements, ideal for beginners
- It can’t remove stubborn stains on dishes, you have to scrub that first
Don’t let this small guy fool you!
It can transform significantly your dishwashing routine to be much easier and quicker, and the compact design makes it actually a space-saving solution for dorms, apartments, or small living spaces.
Despite limited interior, it possesses decent capacity with 6 standard place settings in addition to plenty of user-friendly controls and practical add-ons.
Such as 6 wash cycle options; a buzzer to alert you that the wash cycle is completed before switching off; a delay start button to customize the start time, and multiple light indicators to give you warnings.
|hOmeLabs Compact Countertop Dishwasher Specifications|
17.2 x 19.6 x 21.6 inches
No of Place Settings
3.1 gallons of water per load
6 wash cycle options
Measures 17.2 x 19.6 x 21.6 inches
For those who are searching for a dishwasher that functions as a regular-sized unit but doesn’t cramp up your space, this is a good option.
Ultra-Quiet: Danby DDW621WDB
- Don’t require pre-rinse chores, it can clean baked-on, stubborn dirt on dishes
- Provide multiple time settings so it can do the dishes for you while you are away
- Run quietly at 52 decibels, which won’t disturb your neighbors, even at 2 AM
- Wish the buttons had some description words of what it functions for so that you could use it more easily
- Don’t fit large plates
This “beast” in particular comes with everything you need, plus, it’s amazingly quiet.
Regardless of different settings, it averagely keeps the noise somewhere between 50 decibels to 53 decibels, which is literally a life-saver for small apartments or limited living spaces. It doesn’t disturb you from sleeping, working/studying, or talking with your visitors.
A good thing about this, which our team testers really like, is the timer.
You can program it for 2, 4, and 8 hours so that it will automatically start doing dishes while you’re leaving. No pre-rinse requirement, which is another bonus.
|Danby DDW621WDB Specifications|
21.65" x 19.69" x 17.24"
No of Place Settings
3.1 gallons of water/load
A quick connect feature compatible with most kitchen faucets
Energy-star compliant and low water consumption up to 3.1 gallons of water (11.7L) per wash;
If you’re living in an apartment block and want an appliance that not just cleans your dishes thoroughly but also keeps quiet to not disturb your neighbors, pick this.
Best For Singles: Magic Chef Energy Star 6-Place Setting MCSCD6W5
- Feature stainless-steel interior for better heat resistance and effective odor elimination
- Auto shut off the sink when it’s done grabbing water - no running water, no bills piling up
- Extra convenience: the delay start is able to be programmed up to 24h
- More expensive than the other two counterparts
For singles who want to level up your life quality, this Magic Chef MCSCD6W5 would be one of the best workhorses in your kitchen.
What makes it superior from other affordable units is the stainless-steel interior which you’ll thank for later because this material, unlike the plastic, can resist higher heat much better. In addition, it doesn’t catch odors to protect your dishware from unpleasant smell after wash.
As you’re living alone, we guess this function is super-useful – the 24H delay start.
If you need to run an errand, just worry-free when turning your sink back off as when it’s done grabbing water, the attachments will auto-turn off the sink, resulting in no running water.
|Magic Chef Energy Star 6-Place Setting MCSCD6W5 Specifications|
21.7 x 19.7 x 17.2 inches
No of Place Settings
Electronic Controls with Digital Display
Detergent, and Rinse Aid Dispenser
Up to 24 h Delay Start
EZ Clean Removable Filter;
In a long-term use, the Magic Chef MCSCD6W5 is our proud suggestion, especially for singles, to help you with dishwashing chores and no worries on the bills piling up.
Best Overall: EdgeStar BIDW1802BL
- Feature just merely 18” wide to capably fit well in any tight space
- Versatile: provide 8 place settings and 6 cycle options
- Safe to use: auto shut off water flow if it detects a leak
- Unclear instructions and no manuals are provided on the EdgeStar website
With just 17.75 inches wide, this EdgeStar dishwasher can fit well in any narrow spaces and be almost invisible.
While taking so little area, it provides you with 8 place settings with 6 different cycle options. Unlike other counterparts at the same price point which just provide a few wash cycles, this is assured to clean thoroughly any types of dishware.
It’s also easy to reach into for emptying or filling, which is particularly helpful for people who are confined to a wheelchair or with disabilities.
|EdgeStar BIDW1802BL Specifications|
32.5" H x 17.6" W x 22.4" D
No of Place Settings
2.5-4.9 Gallons per wash.
8 Place Setting
Energy Star Rated
While giving you versatility and high performance, EdgeStar BIDW1802BL will also light up your kitchen space, making it more beautiful.
Best For Bigger Families: Frigidaire FFCD2418US
- More customizable: allow you to not just adjust the cycle wash settings but also the temperatures
- Loading and unloading is very easy
- A bit louder during the wash cycle
Featuring 24 inches wide, with 14 place settings, the Frigidaire FFCD2418US is wonderful for big family usage.
Our most favorite is the number of options provided. Although this comes with just 5 cycle wash settings, each of them is very functional, including heavy wash, normal, rinse only, energy saver, and one hour.
More significantly, it allows you to adjust temperatures – either high temp of 140 degrees F or sanitize of 155 degrees F.
The door is another big plus. As made of heavy-duty metal springs, it doesn’t fall down easily when open but stays put at whatever angle you want it to so loading/unloading your dishware is much easier.
|Frigidaire FFCD2418US Specifications|
36 x 25 x 24 inches
No of Place Settings
14 Place Settings
Built with a larger size and much more place settings, the Frigidaire FFCD2418US is heavy-duty enough to handle stacks of dirty dishware, ideal for big families.
Best For Drying Dishes: SPT SD-9254W
- By adding heating function during drying cycle, it gives bone-dry dishware after wash
- Meet Energy Star standards for both safety and cost-efficiency
- The price doesn’t include side mounting brackets
Another great addition to your home!
The SPT SD-9254W, aside from providing 8 place settings, 6 wash cycle options, and 2 pull-out dish racks, highlights a brand-new heating function during the drying cycle. As a result, it offers more effective drying performance.
Regardless, the unit is crafted with a stainless-steel tub and meets Energy Star certification. It is well worth the price and particularly suitable for most people.
|SPT SD-9254W Specifications|
17.6 x 22.6 x 32.4 inches
No of Place Settings
Energy Star 18" Built-In Dishwasher w/Heated Drying
Highlighting the latest heating function during the drying cycle, the SPT SD-9254W will give you bone-dry dishware after each wash. A good purchase!
How To Choose The Best Dishwashers Under $500?
- There are currently two main sizes of dishwashers in the market – the 18” and the 24”, which is decided by the number of dirty dishes and the size of your household.
- If you wrestle with stacks of soiled plates, the average full-size unit is a good option. Otherwise, just stick with a small one.
Here are some extra tips to help you choose a more customizable dishwasher:
- Make sure to account for the size of pans and running pots that you plan to run through the machine, it’d be better if looking for an equivalent pot scrubber option.
- If there are many dishes needed washing but they’re in small sizes, a smaller dishwasher is fine but remember to choose a quick-cycle option
- For people who use many large dishware, like mixing bowls, pick a unit with more rooms.
- Adjustable shelving is really useful
- Pay attention to the number of shelves and size of silverware baskets
- It is particularly important to consider this feature if your kitchen is near to your bedrooms or living rooms.
- Think about it, a rumbling dishwasher would disturb your nap or conversations between you and your guests, which is absolutely not the things you want. So although you want a budget-friendly dishwasher, try to balance between price and features.
- The cheaper the unit, the louder it commonly will be.
- To limit the noise, we prefer to choose a stainless-steel dishwasher. Although it’s a bit costlier, your ears will thank for that.
- The best thing to save more on a dishwasher is to choose one that meets just right to your cleaning needs. Focus on its clean and dry settings!
- The more basic clean setting, the more economical.
- Find a model with heavy-scrub or pre-rinse setting if you don’t wash off your dishes in the sink and vice versa. On the heat cycle, look for an air-dry feature because using heat will consume tons of electricity.
Which Brands Make The Best Dishwashers Under $500?
- One of our favorite brands specializing in making mindful products for life. At hOmeLabs, you are assured to find the most suitable dishwasher fitting most to your needs with highest quality.
- With over 65 years’ experience in the industry of home appliances, Danby is known for its brilliant and inspired devices for home, all to make your life much easier.
- Famous for its quality yet affordable products. It’s a good choice for people who are in a tight budget.
How long do dishwashers under 500 last?
9 – 12 years
Are dishwashers under 500 worth buying?
If they afford your cleaning needs of the desired dishwasher and even have a good warranty, then why not?
Is it worth it to repair a dishwasher?
It depends on what the problem is with your dishwasher. If it’s simple but important, like fill valve, drain pump, pressure switch, soap dispenser, or a door latch, repair is probably worth it.
How often should you clean dishwasher filter?
How often should you run your dishwasher?
Depending on the number of dishware you use per day, the number of dishwashing times can be within 1 to 4 a day.
How often should a dishwasher be replaced?
If your dishwasher stops working or dies in the middle of a cycle after many times checking out, it’s time to replace it. This commonly happens every 9 to 12 years.
Dishwashers averagely last for 9 to 12 years, depending on the quality and your maintenance. in general, you will have that long to recover your investment.
Remember, just a few “small” add-ons can rise up the total initial cost so it’s also helpful to get out a calendar and a calculator. Hope this ultimate guide has helped you find out the best dishwasher under 500.
Thanks for reading!